4 December 2023
December is here, and, with it, the start of the great winter holidays marathon! Whether you celebrate Hanukkah, Christmas, Kwanzaa or something else, you know what I'm talking about. There may be office parties, family get-togethers, dinners with friends. In all likelihood, there will be lots of food, much of it fried!
So here are my top tips for staying healthy during the holidays (I'm sure you want to optimize your immune system as we head into cold, flu and covid season!):
- Don't go out hungry! Eat a nourishing meal or snack before you go to the party. Your brain needs real food to make good choices!
- Bring a wholesome plant based dish for yourself and others. Crudité is always a hit and starting your meal with veggies will stabilize blood sugar and fill you up.
- Of course, don't take a holiday from making half your plate vegetables. Eat all the foods you want, but keep your proportions healthy.
- Hydrate with plenty of water or seltzer. Limit alcohol and sugary beverages, which carry a number of health risks, and often lead to less beneficial food choices.
- Be mindful! Focus on the purpose of the party (usually to socialize with others) and also enjoy the food (if that's your thing - it certainly is mine!). I mean REALLY enjoy it - mindful eating increases satiety.
Green Bites is all about the small bites that lead towards better health. So don't get bogged down in the rules. A plant-based diet could potentially add 10 years to your life, but even a partial switch to plant forward can add 6. We're talking over the long run, so do what is sustainable for you.